Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Gift :)

Click on this to listen to my parents song for inspiration while reading :) then you might actually understand the title of this post ;)
  
(ok. They didn't have a song a long time ago and all of us were appalled. They would always listen to this song and sing it. They decided that it was their song a while back. I think it reminded my dad of my mom)

I thought for Valentine's day I would share the story of how my parents met. :)

When my mom was 17 she started working at Macey's. My dad was a manager at the time. I asked her what she thought when she first looked and him and she said- "Wow. He's really cute, and he's really well dressed." I thought that was kind of hilarious thing for my mom to say. 
She tried to get to know him but he actually transferred to Smith's. He would come visit his friends occasionally so she didn't see him too much. My mom's friend knew him pretty well and she told my mom that whoever he would marry, he would treat her like a queen. 
All my mom could think was- I really want to be treated like a queen. 

Look at that stash!
From then on she tried really hard to get to know him, but she knew that she was too young for him (they are 8 years apart). 
She said that my dad told her his friend told him that he should ask my mom out because she was really cute. My dad was a little bit shy when it came to those things so he didn't right away. His friend and his girlfriend were going to go to Lagoon in a couple days. They wanted my dad to ask a date so he could go with them. His friend finally convinced him to ask my mom because he told her that she REALLY liked him (everyone could probably tell. It's my mom haha she doesn't hold anything back). 
The sad thing was my mom had just barely agreed to go on a date with one of her friends on the day he was going. She was distraught because she had been waiting for him to ask her out. She told him that he better ask her out again, even though she knew he probably wouldn't because he was so shy. So a few days later she found out that her sister Karla was having a Lagoon day with her husband Jack's work. She asked my dad to go with her right away (I think this is hilarious because he had just asked her to go there so it was kind of perfect). He said that he would love to, but he didn't want that to be their first date so they went on another date to dinner and a movie before Lagoon. 
This was before my mom cut all her hair off ;) Look how cute they are in this blurry picture
A little while later (I really mean little though... after they "officially" started dating 3 weeks later they were engaged) my dad took my mom to our annual Flaming Gorge trip.

I love this picture for 3 reasons. The tie-dye. My grandpa.  And the love beaming from their faces ;)
A couple days later he "proposed."
Here is that story-
They were walking around the Provo Temple and had stopped to sit on the grass and talk. 
*My mom had mentioned in conversation earlier that this was the temple that she wanted to get married in. It was special to her because her grandmother had worked in it, and it had a special place in her heart. 

But just a a couple days before they were driving home from Flaming Gorge and she told him that she didn't want to get married until she was like 25. She was 19 at the time (they got married 2 months after she turned 20). So I bet she was surprised when my dad said this to her. 
He told her this story about a boy growing up and finally realizing what he needed and wanted (or something like that... I can't remember. It had to do with getting back to Heavenly Father though). After the story he looked her in the eyes and said, "Kristin, you are what I need to get back to my Heavenly Father." 
So he didn't "really" propose.... well not a "normal" proposal anyways. It was perfect in every way. The main one being that it was inspiration. My mom says he wasn't even planning on saying that at the time, but it was perfect and was meant to be through inspiration (I think my sisters and I just aren't patient enough. We knew what was going to happen and we wanted to get down here as soon as we could;)). But that is why he didn't have a ring or anything. It was simple and sweet. Which is exactly like my dad :) plus, this is the girl that didn't even want a reception. The proposal was perfect. 
A few months later on February 14 1992 my super hero duo were married and sealed for time and all eternity in the Provo Temple. 


21 years later here we are :) and still going strong!  

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to have the best pair of parents anyone could ever even dream of. I am who I am today because of their examples and kindness. They showed me who I could become, and how I could get there. Giving up on my dreams was never an option, and I always knew that. 

I wish I learned how to do my makeup and hair just a little bit sooner... 



Nothing in this world makes me happier than knowing that I get to spend eternity with my family. :)





Couple side notes... 
How cute! I think it was on the napkins or something

I love that they put their kid pictures on the invitation

This is just hilarious and super cheesy but SOOOO my mom! Especially the theme... isn't she just brilliant? 



1 comment:

  1. Yay! You posted it :) awww I love it!!! I just love love :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...