Thursday, March 28, 2013

A note on my stance

I want you to know that this scares me, more than most things that I have ever done. My heart is pounding as I write these words. I fear that I could hurt others feelings, damage relationships, and even lose friendships because of my own opinion. But I have a very strong feeling that what I believe and know to be true, needs to be said. I pray that the spirit will direct me in the words I am going to share with you.

Please know that this is my testimony. If it wasn't my testimony it would be ok for you to argue. You can disagree, but I ask that you please be respectful of my own testimony. It is not my intent to argue or go into political issues. I love and respect everyone and this is just so I can make my stance clear, not to bash on others opinions. We are all very different, and are entitled to our own choices and opinions, so I ask you to respect mine and respect others as well.

You probably knew what was coming. Yes. I am going to talk about same-sex attraction and gay marriage.

My stance on the issue is exactly the same as what my church believes. This is because like I have said so many times before I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on this earth today. I sustain fully, without question, President Monson as prophet, seer, and revelator of our church, and his counselors, as well as the quorum of the twelve apostles as leaders of our church.

I know that our Heavenly Father speaks through our prophet President Thomas S. Monson. What our prophet says, is exactly what Heavenly Father wants us to know.


D&C 1:38 says- 
 38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, myaword shall not pass away, but shall all be bfulfilled, whether by mine own cvoice or by the dvoice of my eservants, it is the fsame.

Through that I take everything that our prophet says to heart. I believe every word that comes out of his mouth to counsel us is from our Father in Heaven. The counsel he gives us is the counsel that Heavenly Father is giving us. That should not be taken lightly. 

The LDS church has come out with a website called- mormonsandgays.org 

This website explains everything and more about how our church stands on the topic of same sex attraction. I believe and agree with everything that is put on this website.

In the header of the home page it says- 

"The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. Even though individuals do not choose to have such attractions, they do choose how to respond to them. With love and understanding, the Church reaches out to all God’s children, including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters."

That last sentence brings tears to my eyes, "including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters". OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS. 
It makes my heart ache when I see fellow members of our church say unkind things to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. In the website our church leaders clearly state that we love them just as much as any other person. 

It also states that our church does believe that the feelings of same sex attraction are real. "The attraction itself is NOT a sin" but just like any other of the feelings we have, we should not act on it. Just like if someone had the desire to smoke, it is not a "sin" until it is acted upon. 


Now to get down to the real issue that has been making me squirm in my seat every time I log onto facebook. 


Here is another statement from the website- 

"The Church’s approach to this issue stands apart from society in many ways. And that’s alright. Reasonable people can and do differ. From a public relations perspective it would be easier for the Church to simply accept homosexual behavior. That we cannot
do, for God’s law is not ours to change. There is no change in the Church’s position of what is morally right. But what is changing — and what needs to change — is to help Church members respond sensitively and thoughtfully when they encounter same-sex attraction in their own families, among other Church members, or elsewhere."


From A Proclamation to the Family written by our brethren- 

"THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity."

Anyone who has studied the plan of salvation or have been through the temple know that marriage IS ordained of god, and the ONLY way for it to work is between a man and a women. That's how the plan has always been, and that is how it will always stay. 


Our church is NOT trying to force our views on anyone else. People have asked us what our view is on the topic, and we have come out in a mature respectful manner and said that what we believe, is what we have always believed. 


This is my only issue-

I have seen countess friends and family post things that are either for, or against the topic of gay rights or marriage. We need to love one another and accept, like I've already said, that we are all different and that we can, and will, have different opinions. Please be sensitive to others and I ask if you are a member of the LDS church that you be especially careful about what you say to others who do not have the same views. You are the face, and sometimes can be the voice of our church to your non-member friends. I ask that you pray and ask your Father in Heaven if you are unsure about what you should believe. He will NEVER steer you wrong. 

I know that my friends and family who ARE members of the church may not have the same views as our prophets or myself. But I want you to know that I still love you and respect your opinion. If you need help finding what our prophets have said, I encourage you to look at the countless straightforward things the church has put out. I warn you, only things that the church has approved of (lds.org, church magazines like the Ensign, New Era, LDSLiving or mormonsandgays.org like I have said).


I love you all and I hope you know that this is truly out of love and respect to everyone and that I felt like I needed to take a clear stance on the subject. :) 





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog today! I am sure you will make an awesome missionary! We are so excited for you. I can also tell that you are a kind, compassionate, loving friend. Funny I just was reading about this today as well and I found this beautiful question and answer by Elder Oaks and it answers virtually every question you could think of on this subject and makes it really very clear where the church stands and all they whys behind it. Your right it can be a very tricky subject but the Lord has not left us without answers to lead us through these last troubling days.

    http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/interview-oaks-wickman-same-gender-attraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love you! I will miss you so much when you are gone. I never want to get on facebook either these days, but here are some things I have stumbled across that are not from the church.

    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2011/08/3761/

    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/03/9432/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...