Tuesday, September 13, 2011

BYU myths... busted.


So I just want to clear BYU's name on some common myths I've heard and want to explain...

BYU has huge class sizes so you can't get 1 on 1 help: Fact- they are huge, my biggest class is 600 people. But my smallest is 20. The big one is a GE, and so is the small one. But... the teachers have office hours where you can go and talk to them, plus like 50TA's who are paid and trained to help you and they are available all the time. PLUS, they have a tutoring lab open from 8am-8pm every day (except Sunday of course). I feel like I have MORE help here then I did in High School, and that's no even a joke. The professors are very willing to help and so are the TA's. It's just your job to contact them.
BYU is sooooo expensive to get into: Ya. Big lie. It's less expensive then USU or SUU or even UVU. All of BYU is paid for by the LDS church. It's a scholarship just to get in. Plus, a lot of people get scholarships from BYU, I'm pretty sure they are giving out more money then making in tuition.
People get married super fast and you get dates all the time: Ya nope. I have met more single people then married, I have met a TON of girls that are RM's and it's just not true. The percentage of people getting married at BYU is just the same as people getting married at UVU. That used to not be the case, but it is now.
Their is a higher percentage of girls then boys: Nope. That's BYU-ID. Here it's about the same. More guys are on missions for 2 years that are going to BYU, but that still doesn't mean their are more girls. From what I've seen there is just the same.
The nursing program isn't that good at BYU: FALSE! It's very good! Why would it have a bad nursing program if the school itself is hard to get into? I've heard people say the UVU's is better, nothing against UVU it's a WONDERFUL school, but they were on academic probation for a while in the nursing program because they were letting people though and their test scores weren't high enough.
You can't wear shorts at BYU: That' BYU-ID once again. We can. We do have an Honor code, but if you are following what the prophets say in the For Strength of Youth then nothing will change. You can wear shorts as long as they go with the honor code.
You have to have really good grades and ACT to get in: I only had a 20ACT and a 3.7GPA. I actually learned this just 2 weeks ago: before they accept people into the school or any program they fast and pray about it to know by inspiration who to accept. I know that I'm here solely because I'm meant to be here. It has nothing to do with my grades or test scores. That's one thing that's different about BYU.
Hardly anyone gets accepted: Well, ok this one is kinda true. They only accept half the people that apply. I say if you wanna get in, work hard do your best, do extra things (service is a big one), be engaged in church, and last but not least PRAY.
The religion classes are the hardest classes at BYU: Well, it is a religion school, but so far, by religion class is the easiest. So I will let you know when I find that to be true.
Everyone is super smart and full of themselves: Don't we have people like that everywhere? I've found the exact opposite is true. Everyone (ok not everyone, but a lot of people that I've met) is so nice and friendly and wants to help you do your best!
You have to be LDS to get accepted: Not at all! Not a lot of NON LDS people apply, but they are willing to accept anyone. They exact statistics are: 32,486 LDS members, 69 catholics, 62 protestant, 57 hindu, 16 islamic, and 156 no religious preference (this was in 2010, but I'm sure it's similar this year). But again, it is an LDS run school. But the professors are aware that not everyone is LDS and are sensitive to those that aren't (not that they even know who they are). So it's not really a problem. It's a great university, they can't limit it to only LDS people.
The classes are hard: OK this is true. At least for me.

*Of course BYU has their problems, but every school does. BYU students are held to a "higher standard" but isn't every member of the church? No one is perfect. That applies to BYU students as well.*

Sorry if I rambled I just needed to get that off my chest. I LOVE everything about this school and I want everyone to know it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...