Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why am I so blessed???

I wonder this almost every day.

But really? Why me???
I just don't get it... what did I do to deserve all of these blessings? There are people out there who have to live each day wondering if they will even get to eat. And I sit here, throwing my food away if I don't want it.
This not only makes me feel guilty when I think about it, but makes me realize how truly blessed I am.

Today while I was at the temple I met one of the  most amazing people I have probably ever met in my life. As I was sitting there in the foyer, drooling just thinking about the missionary that had just baptized me/making a plan to talk to him after he came out, a woman came and sat down next to me. I was reading my scriptures, so I didn't see her at first. But then she just started talking to me. I hardly remember what we were even talking about, but I just couldn't help but be completely happy.

She was 27 and had never been on a single date.
I'm 19 and have been on countless dates.

She had been through 37 treatments of radiation for a tumor they couldn't remove.
I don't even get headaches.

She was made fun of in High School.
High School was a breeze for me.

All of her grandparents have passed away.
I still have 2 wonderful grandmas.

Because of her tumor she is now considered by society, a "special needs individual."
In society's terms I'm considered "normal."

Her mother is in a wheelchair.
My mother can walk.

She can't go to college.
I'm going to BYU.

As I sat there listening to her I struggled to understand why my Heavenly Father has given me such a great life. Why am I so blessed? I don't think I will ever know the full answer until after this life. But sometimes I wish I could just give others the things I have. I just want to make it easier for them. Besides that, I feel so selfish because I have it so good, yet I complain about the silliest things every day. One thing she said that really hit me was, "If I don't get married in this life, I know I'll get married in the next."  I know that's true, but just hearing it out of someone's mouth who truly meant it, and was looking forward to that day was humbling.

Her sweet attitude towards life was what was getting her through. She would talk to almost every single person that was walking in or out of the temple. She had the biggest grin on her face, you couldn't resist feeling an immediate feeling of joy, even if you just saw her. She knew where she was going in life, and knew what she needed to do, and she was doing it. I can't imagine all the people's lives she has touched. Because she sure touched mine in a way that I will never forget.

Cathy reminded me that life is precious and that we should enjoy every moment that we are here. Not worrying about the little things and always having a positive attitude. She also reminded me of how truly blessed I am, and that I need to thank my loving Heavenly Father for all the many things I have every day.

I truly believe that people come into our lives at certain times for certain reasons. We may never figure out the reasons, but everything has a purpose.

Heavenly Father has a plan for me. And he has a plan for Cathy.

I may not know all the details, but he does.
All I can do now is live my life the way he would be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...