Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Memory #2- Shooter

I know I know, I'm just posting this. I procrastinated. But right now I'm kind of double procrastinating... I need to do my homework... that's even worse.

Ok so this one is going to be short.
My 9th grade year was my best year of basketball. I loved every second of it. I didn't miss one practice or game. I started and got my nick name "shooter."
Now- here is the fabulous story on how I got that name.
I had always play a 4 (forward) just because I was pretty tall. I never had even played a guard. My team was also really really good. We had won every single game we had played. Mainly because of my awesome coach and the program we had. Besides that- we had all been playing ball together for a while because of our club team The Gators.
But this one game half our team was sick. Literally half of them. Our main guard (Kassy) and our Center (Elle), and a bunch of other people. It was the worst. We were playing Mountain something... (I get so confused because of the high schools and stuff).
Towards the end of the game we weren't even close. I mean it was possible for us to catch up, but with out our main people it wasn't going to happen. I don't even remember how this happened but either my coach had told me to, or I just decided to shoot a 3. I think I was playing guard because of our lack of people. Ya ok I have no idea how it happened. But- I shot this 3 pointer... and made it? My team freaked out and so did I! Well, I actually acted very calm, but in my head I was jumping for joy. I had no idea where it came from! So then the next time we were coming down the court I decided to shoot it again. Swish. I made it again! What the heck? My team and the crowed just roared! Soooo of course, the next time we were down on our side again I decided to shoot again. The other teams parents kept saying get on her! I shot it again and made it. Seriously my team was freaking out. Next time down the court... I shot it again. But this time someone was on me and I barely missed it. We ended up losing the game, but not by very much. Coach Bettis started calling me shooter after that and that was my nickname from then on. I can't even explain how much I loved that :) I played shooting guard for the rest of the season and for the rest of my basketball career.
I even remember AF was the next game we played we lost by 1 but I think I made 4 3 pointers in that game as well (we only lost 2 games that season). The next time we played AF all I could hear was get number 21. They guarded me like crazy so I could never shoot. But the one time I actually got to shoot my arch was too high and the ball hit the other basketball hoop on the wall. That was super embarrassing. But the more embarrassing thing was that on the bus ride home I was giving people treats and I threw one to my coach and I hit the  top of the bus. Just like my shot. Everyone rolled on the ground laughing. That was awesome.
If I could go back to this time in my life I SO would. Beside the braces, my dad dying, and my acne.... but I just had so much fun playing basketball. That was all I had to worry about. It was awesome. Besides that I got to play basketball all the time with my dad and he was at every single one of my games and everyone knew him.
My awesome team! I still keep in touch with a lot of them today! Even my coaches! 

Oh gosh embarrassing... So glad I wasn't a pioneer. No make-up REALLY doesn't work for me. 


THAT WAS SO NOT SHORT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...