Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spirit in the Vending Machine Room

On Monday night I was just hanging at Christina's dorm. She was at FHE and I was using her wi-fi because mind wasn't working. I get a text from her saying that someone in her ward needs a ride to the hospital, she asked if I could drive him. Of course- I said yes. 
He was in a lot of pain. Most likely appendicitis. He was grabbing his right side, and was white as a ghost. We waited in the ER for 3 hours. It's so crazy and makes me so sad that someone would have to wait that long to see a doctor when his appendix could potentially burst. I just tried to make him as comfortable as possible. I didn't even really know him, but I wanted to help. 
After about an hour I had the thought that he needed a blessing. We asked him if he'd like us to call the bishop or his home teachers to come over. He told us that he would like that. Christina called the bishop and he made arrangements. One of his home teachers and 2 friends came to the ER to give him a blessing. 
It was pretty funny when the 3 boys arrived. They came in the doors of the ER dressed in their suits and ties. The double doors opened and they seriously looked like these missionary stripping warriors or something. It was so fun to see. They were ready and willing to serve and they would do whatever it took because they loved the Lord. Just like the stripping warriors and missionaries do. 
We didn't know where to go. It was too cold outside and too loud inside. We asked them if they had a room we could give him a blessing in. The nurse said that most people just use the vending machine room. We were very grateful to have somewhere nice and quiet to give him a blessing. The 3 boys were so amused that I could just ask the nurse where we could give him a priesthood blessing and she knew what that was. They are from out of state so it was pretty abnormal. 
I'm just so grateful to live in Utah. Yeah, it may be a bubble. But there is nothing wrong with a bubble! I love it here and am so glad that we have priesthood holders when needed and that they are so willing to serve. 
The spirit was so strong in that little vending machine room. It didn't even have a door. We grabbed a bench for him to sit on and all went in there. The boys gave an amazing simple blessing. The spirit filled the room and I could tell Heavenly Father was listening and cared so much about Trevor (the boy with appendicitis). He ended up getting in about an hour and a half later. We called him mom and explained everything. The bishop even came and made sure everything was ok. We stayed there and made sure everything was ok. We ended up leaving about 1:00am and we had one of the boys stay here with him. He had surgery at 5:00am today and it went well. We have been coming in shifts so that he always has someone with him. It has been such a cool experience and I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it! 
This just shows that the spirit can be anywhere and that the power of the priesthood is real and powerful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...